Cicero gas leak prompts elementary school shutdowns

Lawndale News Chicago's Bilingual Newspaper - Local NewsLast Thursday, a struck gasoline pipe released natural gas around 4923 W. 49th Place in Cicero, and as a result, two teachers and a child admitted to the hospital as a precautionary measure.

The natural gas leak occurred due to a local landscaping crew’s drilling into the ground to plant a tree. The Cicero Fire Department along with Nicor Gas officials responded promptly to secure the area and control the gas discharge.

This led to the shut down of ventilation systems of Cicero East and Cicero West elementary schools and the Town of Cicero Community Center. Fire department workers continue to monitor the air quality to make sure there is no immediate harm to the community.

The two teachers and student remain in good condition, and Cicero Fire Chief Ron Opalecky said there is currently no health threat to the public.

Comments are closed.